If you are wondering what's been going on since May, here it is:
1. I graduated with an MA-TESL (teaching English as a second language)
2. I taught ESL full time over the summer in Flagstaff, AZ--my home for past three years.
3. I accepted and began my first real job as an instructor in the English department at Northern Arizona University. I teach freshman composition--two sections of native speakers and one section for language learners. I also coordinate the language learner classes with the Writing Program. It's a new position, created for me because I know some of the ins and outs of both programs
4. I went to Mexico with my boyfriend, a fellow MA-TESLer. Mazatlan was great, and Mexico reminded me of Cambodia in so many ways. Smell, heat, language barrier--to name a few.
5. I got engaged to my boyfriend. Yeah, BIG news! The ring is fantastic.
6. I found a wedding dress with my mom and aunt. The dress is also fantastic. May 31st, 2014 is the big day.
7. Maintained my kick-ass volleyball program for international students. It's pretty much my favorite thing ever.
That brings us up to now. The time when I'm at work, but I need a little creative brain break. I teach writing, so I think it's ok for me to occasionally write while at work.
The future is wide open! Here are things I'm thinking about:
1. A return abroad. Georgetown's ELF program (less Santa, more English Language Fellow)--these are prestigious fellowships abroad. They assign you a country! EEK! I'd love to get a spot in that program. However, there are plenty, and I mean TONS of other opportunities to go abroad.
2. The wedding. There is a lot to plan, but luckily, I've got the world's most awesome mother to help me out with that.
3. Adult stuff: retirement plans, buying a house, buying a new car...it's all about the money, I guess.
Ok, I hope that clears my head enough to get back to work. I've got a pack of writers to guide!