September 1, 2011

Mostly a list.

It was my first real day of graduate school. How do I know? I wore dress pants, for starters. I discussed possible topics for term papers with a professor. I said the words "communicative competence, syntax and linguistic analysis" while jogging with a fellow grad student. I sent a dozen emails regarding a "practicum". I spent two hours responding to freshman comp papers. I also made last minute copies of book pages for some of my students, held office hours, and rode my bike home after dark. I don't recommend ever doing that last part. I didn't eat dinner until past 8, and I hardly noticed. I didn't have my customary bowl of ice cream, and I hardly noticed. I did have a cup of tea. That's important.

Grad school. I love it for now. Even the dress pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment