December 28, 2014

Shopping-spree dream

Just for fun, I think I'll make a list of what I would buy if I had an hour at Target (US big box store, just a step up from Wal-Mart).
--Target-- Are the angels signing yet?

  • Rosarita refried beans. I'll take three cases, please.
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, a few of the monster-sized bags I used to buy in Flagstaff.
  • Tortillas. They have them here, but if I'm at Target, why not?
  • Avocados.
  • SALSA. Another three-case purchase. Target sells a pretty good tomatillo salsa. I'd probably get that.
  • Tapatio and Sriracha. Maybe a case of each. Hot sauce is also expensive and hard to come by here.
  • Tortilla chips. OMG. Maybe a pallet of these. They are my favorite. Doritos are everywhere here, but I just want some plain tortilla chips to make nachos... (I might cry now).
  • Coffee beans and a french press. I can get these here, but while at Target, I'll get American-sized, and American-priced stuff.
  • Food processor.
  • Several brownie and cake mixes.
  • Soy sauce (3 gallons)
  • Ice cream maker. Our friends have one and it is AMAZING.
  • American beef. Turkish cows eat different stuff. 
  • The entire spice rack and baking supply area would be tempting. I'll prioritize ingredients for a dozen pumpkin pies (don't forget whipped cream from a spray can).
  • Unscented lotion and face soap. Turkey loves perfumed toiletries. My skin doesn't.
  • American make up. You can buy it here, but it's expensive and doesn't always look...unused.
  • Sunscreen, lots, also unscented, strong SPF. It's expensive here.
  • Unscented laundry detergent. 
  • Natural cleaning spray (Method brand).
  • Ziplock bags with real zippers. Gallon, quart, and snack size.
  • Tampons. Sorry TMI (too much information) but darn are those things hard to find and expensive here.
  • WINE WINE WINE. Without sounding too dependent, I would stock up. I mean, cases. There is really only one place with a decent selection in this town, and it's a pain in the you-know-what to get there and back from our apartment by bus carrying bags.
  • PBR Beer. A pallet. For my Alan. :) and a case of limeade to make "alien blood."
  • Pepper jack cheese. Gouda. YUM.
  • Supplies for green bean casserole. Maybe a case of each ingredient.
  • While I'm there, let's get some new socks and underwear. Always a good idea.
  • Snow boots. Waterproof. Size women's HUGE. It doesn't exist here, and I'm a little embarrassed to go to the men's stores.
  • Pepto-bismol, Tylenol, Advil, Claritin (you know I'll need these if I'm consuming cases of spicy food and wine).
  • Emergen-C packets.  A case, please.
  • Multivitamins. Big supply.
  • Games: Apples to Apples, Twister, Taboo, CatchPhrase, Jenga.
Okay, that was fun. My mouth is watering. I miss capitalism, my car, Target...

Well, I'm planning to be in "the States" in August 2015, so maybe I can pick up some of these things when I'm there. Target, if you're reading this, please open a location in Talas. I will be your best customer!

And yes, if there were a Starbucks inside the Target, I would have a soy latte. Thank you for asking. Corporation inside corporation. Gotta love the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment