September 12, 2010

A Hammer and a Heart of Glass

A few days ago, I read that John Mayer had "sworn off" women. You may recall him as my other boyfriend; a man whose music is like a blowtorch to the creme brulee of my heart.
According to the story, he is spending his nights home with a new love--the iPad.

I guess it's better than Jessica Simpson, but still. An iPad? How am I supposed to compete with a streamlined, all-in-one entertainment supergadget? I once tinkered with a iPad at the Apple store in Ginza (that's in Tokyo!). It was an attractive plaything, especially the piano app.

It's just hard because I have been on-again-off-again with John Mayer since Room for Squares. I remember rediscovering that CD, buried among Spice Girls and Bryan Adams, sometime in the Winter of 2007. "Your Body is a Wonderland" still makes me blush for no good reason. As I prepared to leave on my study abroad in Austria, I bought two more albums to keep me company.

John was my dinner date the first weekend in Graz. I had no TV, no internet, and no friends.

I remember falling asleep in my apartment on Froebelgasse to "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" and "In Repair."

I remember playing "Clarity" on repeat on the train from Vienna after Takeshi's dad died.


His latest album, Battle Studies, is my favorite yet. It's about the painful inability to compromise between single and taken. Sometimes he takes the words right out of my mouth--or at least I wish I were articulate (or close!) enough for him to do that. He's like a halfway-motivational speaker in my iPod--he makes the imperfect relationship sound so romantic.

The point is, it's Sunday afternoon, I've got chili on the stove, bran muffins in the oven and my real boyfriend lives in Belgium. I don't have an iPad, but I've got John Mayer playing, and doggonit, that's good enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment